legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

My wife and I are planning on getting a divorce but we are

Customer Question

My wife and I are planning on getting a divorce but we are trying to figure out where to do this since we just relocated to Atlanta this past January (the 9th) from Jacksonville where we got married close to 4 years ago. I read on the web that there is a 6-month residency requirement before you can file for divorce on a given state. I also read that in order to file for Divorce in FLorida or Geoorgia you must currently reside in the state you will be filing. which I think puts me in "divorce" juridiction limbo until June/Jule when we get to the 6-month mark in Atlannta. Couple of question: Am I reading this right?
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
A few minutes please as I look into this.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
thank you; yes, that is correct, GA has the 6 month requirement (except for military) per section 19-5-2; I was checking to see if FL had subject matter jurisdiction as some state statutes permit the original state to have jurisdiction if the parties have not yet established residency in another state, but FL does not have the requisite statute.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
What were your other questions?
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
I noticed this question is still opened; did you have other questions? You mentioned you had a couple of questions but you only posted the one about jurisdiction.