Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was arrested Oct 2015 in CO, M3 assault based on a false

Customer Question

i was arrested Oct 2015 in CO, M3 assault based on a false report, a 15 minute investigation and 2 priors w/similar charges.Trial mid March. Im interstate compact from WY to CO. immediately after my PO here reported it to wy a fugitive warrant was issued and i was held without a bond or hearing 151 days. Plead to disorderly w/gesture, cant be used for revocation. Way excessive time, no regard for deadlines or hearing and bond rights. Transported to WY and they blushed a ((ALOT)) and put me on sig bond day 151 b/c now that cant be considered violation.. Lost all but wife, kid, dog and one vehicle. MULTIPLE mistakes by multiple agencies: Police, courts, pub defender, too many to list here.Can I sue for compensation?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you were held in jail wrongfully, without any statutory authority, you can indeed sue for that wrongful incarceration and also civil rights violations for false imprisonment and damages for that imprisonment. It is going to take a local civil rights attorney to represent you in court, but from what you are saying, if there is the evidence you mentioned above, you should be able to get one to take up your case. You can find a local civil rights attorney (in WY you may have to search state wide, because they do not have many attorneys in the whole state) http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com