How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I keep hearing about HR 1314 that takes place May 1, 2016.

Customer Question

I keep hearing about HR 1314 that takes place May 1, 2016. Is there anything I can do to claim money that is owed me? I keep getting emails from Blair Morse about this. He wants me to get his books and a subscription to his newsletter. I don't know if he is legit or not. I'm confused. I'm already getting social security. He claims I can get more if I act before May 1.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
In a nutshell 4/30/2016 is your deadline to use a strategy known as "file and suspend," which can give your spouse an extra four years of monthly social security checks without reducing your own benefit. For example, say Danny, who is 66 or older, files for his benefits before the end of the month and immediately suspends them. What that does is allow his wife, Debbie, to start receiving spousal benefits, as soon as she turns 62. Meanwhile, Danny can hold off on receiving his benefits until he turns 70. By doing so, his future monthly check amount will grow by as much as 8% each year. But after April 29, new retirees won't be able to claim their benefits this way. Debbie won't be able to claim spousal benefits unless Danny starts receiving his Social Security checks too.