How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5619
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started collecting my SS last year at age 66. My wife got

Customer Question

I started collecting my SS last year at age 66. My wife got hers through a disability when she was in her 50's. I am still working but will probably retire before the end of this year. Should I freeze my payments now or is there anything I should be doing differently.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Are you also collecting Medicare Part B? Is your wife claiming your work credits in her disability or did she qualify from her own earnings record?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I am not using part b and my wife has here own ss
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
What you can do if you desire is suspend your benefits and let them grow up to age 70. But when you retire I'm sure you'll want part B, which you can either pay for out of pocket or reinstate your benefits and have the premiums come out of those. Your wife cannot switch over to your benefits now because of changes in the she'll be switched over to old age retirement benefits at age 66.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.