How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102522
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** My issue is regarding how to terminate

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** My issue is regarding how to terminate my lawyer
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I have a first offense dui 03/19/2016. I hired my lawyer on 04/04 and my first court date was on 04/12. I did show up late and my lawyer ordered a continuance on 06/21. He told me we would have to discuss the case more the next time we see one another. Well my licence is set to suspend on 05/08 and I need an earlier court date. Since 4/12 I've texted him 3 times and I have called 4 times on diff days and left 2 voicemails with no response. I think that I need to hire another lawyer
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. In such a case, the Defendant can simply go and retain another attorney. The new attorney would then file a Motion for Substitution with the Court and have the Court acknowledge the new attorney as the attorney of record. Note that there is no guarantee that the new attorney can provide a quicker court date. In addition, one's old attorney is already familiar with the case, so it may be better to resolve any communication matter with the old attorney before arbitrarily obtaining a new one. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.