How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33372
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last night I was stupid and not thinking. A man in a truck

Customer Question

Last night I was stupid and not thinking. A man in a truck stopped by my house while I was out front, offered to power wash my siding with his solution. He said he just came from another house and saw me outside. He showed me h8s solution on a part of my house and it worked. He said he had a 2 gallon sprayer and he could do front and back of house probably with about 2 sprayers. It was 39.99 a gallon, so I figured about 160-200. He started and it took about an hour. He then charged me 600.00. Said it took 19 gallons. I was out front and back with him most of time, but not exact hour. I did not see him go to his truck and fill it up 9 times. All I could get was 300 cash out of atm in one day. I bit the bullet and paid him that much because there were 3 of them and I was scared he would do something to me or my property. But I don't think I should pay him another 300. Do I have any recourse to not pay any more.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. The issue here is whether you put a limit on what you were willing to pay for the job, and it sounds like you didn't, and whether he gave you an estimate and I can't tell that from your facts.Therefore if you don't want to pay him then you can file a small claims lawsuit and ask the judge to determine what he should be paid. If you just ignore the remaining amount and don't pay and don't file lawsuit then he can, in theory, file a workmen's lien against your home or he can try and report you to the police for "theft of services". However, the police rarely pursue these types of cases and are more likely to tell him "it's a civil case" at which time he can sue you if he chooses to do that.