How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had judgment against and I payed off ,but the courthouse

Customer Question

I had judgment against and I payed off ,but the courthouse still shows I owe .so I tried to contact the people. But they do not respond. I need this cleared off the court records for a loan that I'm trying to get. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
What state is this in regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Here is the statute governing recordation of satisfaction of judgments; normally the judgment creditor will file it; if they fail to one can motion the court and have the clerk enter the satisfaction. Alternatively, if time is of the essence, one can send a letter to the creditor requesting that it be recorded by X date, or that the party will have no choice but to petition the court and will request an award of attorney fees and costs against the judgment creditor, since the action was only necessitated by their failure to comply with the statute.Here is the statute:548.15 DISCHARGE OF RECORD.Subdivision 1.General. Except as provided in subdivision 2, upon the satisfaction of a judgment, whether wholly or in part, or as to all or any of several defendants, the court administrator shall enter the satisfaction in the judgment roll, and note it, with its date, on the docket. If the docketing is upon a transcript from another county, the entry on the docket is sufficient. A judgment is satisfied when there is filed with the court administrator:(1) an execution satisfied, to the extent stated in the sheriff's return on it;(2) a certificate of satisfaction signed and acknowledged by the judgment creditor;(3) a like certificate signed and acknowledged by the attorney of the creditor, unless that attorney's authority as attorney has previously been revoked and an entry of the revocation made upon the register; the authority of an attorney to satisfy a judgment ceases at the end of six years from its entry;(4) an order of the court, made on motion, requiring the execution of a certificate of satisfaction, or directing satisfaction to be entered without it;(5) where a judgment is docketed on transcript, a copy of either of the foregoing documents, certified by the court administrator in which the judgment was originally entered and in which the originals were filed.A satisfaction made in the name of a partnership is valid if executed by a member of it while the partnership continues. The judgment creditor, or the creditor's attorney while the attorney's authority continues, may also satisfy a judgment of record by a brief entry on the register, signed by the creditor or the creditor's attorney, and dated and witnessed by the court administrator, who shall note the satisfaction on the margin of the docket. Except as provided in subdivision 2, when a judgment is satisfied otherwise than by return of execution, the judgment creditor or the creditor's attorney shall file a certificate of it with the court administrator within ten days after the satisfaction or within 30 days of payment by check or other noncertified funds.§Subd. 2.Child support or maintenance judgment. In the case of a judgment for child support or spousal maintenance, an execution or certificate of satisfaction need not be filed with the court until the judgment is satisfied in full. and that is located here This can be included with the letter to help expedite the request Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly -Rate Positively- This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.Thank you and take care!No attorney client relationship is created as this is general legal information, not advice; and a personal attorney should be hired if one wishes specific legal advice for their personal situation.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information provided was useful.Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site: you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly --- Rate Positively--- so the site credits me for assisting you.Thank you and take care!
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat. Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Related Legal Questions