How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son bumped into another car at a stop light. he had stopped

Customer Question

My son bumped into another car at a stop light. he had stopped but accidentally took his foot off the break and rolled into a pick up in front of him.
damages were very minor. the police did not give him a ticket. they wrote up an insurance exchange form.
they police said it would probably be $400 tops.
The man who's truck was hit waited 10 days before he got any estimates and then they came in at 1450.00
I agreed to pay the repairs to the vehicle although I think they are very high and anything could have happened to his vehicle in the 10 days it took him to get the estimates.
Here's the issue he also is insisting I pay for a rental while his truck is being repaired 1 to 2 days. Am I obligated to do this??? Can I just pay for the repairs??
I want to pay out of pocket so my insurance does not go way up.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
The loss of use of the vehicle is recoverable. That means that he may be able to recover the one day rental charge. On the other hand, you are certainly entitled to have your own estimate by a body shop that you select. That's what your insurance company would do if you turn it over to them. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER. I hope that you can get it worked out so that it doesn't cost you as much money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I am obligated to get his rental?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately yes, unless you can show that the repairs could be done in such a way that he does not lose the use of the truck for a day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I will want him to sign some sort of release so he can't come back for more, any idea where I can download a template ?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
There are numerous forms online. They all say they are free, but that is often not the case. Also, the ones I've seen are difficult to use. I'll try to upload a form of mine let me know if you get it and if you think that that is going to work for you. You can eliminate the paragraph that refers to a lawsuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it.So I sent the guy a text this morning after I consulted you saying I would agree to pay the repairs and rental. totaling 1576.71 this was the figure he sent me.
No response so farThanks,Holly Palm
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
I would not pay the money without him signing the release. You don't want the person coming back later claiming injuries. I hope that this will permit you to enter a positive rating for my answer.