How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having a dispute with my landlord in Maryland. They aren't

Customer Question

I am having a dispute with my landlord in Maryland. They aren't very happy with me, I made a complaint about my neighbors use controlled dangerous substance, & the odor was coming into my apt I am a disabled veteran receiving a VA disability pension & if I test positive for A CDS, I could lose my pension. My landlord sent me a notice about my grill on my patio, threatening me with fees or immediate eviction. My landlord quoted a memo they had my city code enforcement div dated 2014, supposedly from NFPA code of 2012. I researched it, & the memo doesn't reflect the complete info that listed on the NFPA 2012 uniform fire code, section
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet, my apt complex is part of a major company, Home properties. I left a message at their corp office. I am waiting for my landlords next move, I am prepared to tell them to let code enforcement cite me & many of the other residents who have grills, then I will meet them in court with my Atty & expert witness. I would also counter sue them, because I think my landlord is discrimating against me/
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Well, maybe... doing my phone call today with my property manger, she called me a name ( said I was always obstinate) and whem I informed her I needed to leave a 2 wheel dolly on my patio, she laughed & said I should keep it inside. Because of my disability, lifting & carrying trash isn't possable
JA: Tell me more about your problem so I can decide what kind of lawyer you need. I'm sorry I'm feeling very dense today, I just don't understand what variety of lawyer you are looking for. Could you please name the kind of lawyer you want to see?
Customer: someone who knows discrimination law, & residention leasing law in the state of Maryland
JA: Sounds like you need to see our landlord-tenant expert. Does that seem right?
Customer: That sounds on point
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of your situation.There are two fairly potent enforcement agencies that deal with discriminatory housing actions (particularly against the disabled).In Maryland specifically, the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights: (link to file complaint is at the bottom)And Federally, the Dept. of Housing and Urban Development: (link to file complaint is on the landing page)You can also contact your local bar association and ask to see if there are any local tenant advocacy or landlord/tenant rights clinics (most metropolitan jurisdictions have these resources available). They can assist you with some of the more immediate (urgent) considerations while your complaint(s) to the state and federal agencies are pending.