How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MA small town police chief falsified accident report and harmed

Customer Question

MA small town police chief falsified accident report and harmed both myself and the insurance company. My loss in driver credits and penalties came to $1500. What multiple in punitive damages could I reasonably demand?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. In such situations, someone has three choices: NAME SPECIFIC AMOUNTOne can name a specific amount of punitive damages. But the jury can still go over or under. There is a risk that by naming too little, the jury would then decide to award less. DO NOT NAME AN AMOUNTThis is perhaps the best and many attorneys do this. By not naming an amount, one lets the jury decide. Juries tend to award higher when no amount is named. NAME A WINDOW"No less than __ but not more than ___." Also not a good idea in many cases since this can encourage the jury to award less. Ergo, most simply leave the amount blank and demand punitive damages in general, allowing the jury to decide. And there is no way to know what kind of punitive damages the jury will award. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid your response was so vague and general and nonspecific that I am no further ahead than I was.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Okay. There are some resources that do have aggregate average jury payouts by jurisdiction. They use the US District Courts (i.e. federal) and not state courts, but one draw some general assumptions based on this. But I am guessing this would be too generic if your case is in state court, so I will opt out of another expert who may be wiling to step in. our JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features. You are encouraged to save the rating for the expert that picks up the question.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there ---I am located in and practice in MA. Do you have official confirmation that the police chief falsified the report and has it now been changed to reflect what really happened ? -MARY

Related Legal Questions