Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I own my own home. My boyfriend has been living with me for

Customer Question
several years and is emotionally...
I own my own home. My boyfriend has been living with me for several years and is emotionally and verbally abusive. He is an alcoholic and is much worse when he drinks. My life has become unbearable. I am being treated for depression and anxiety. I have been asking him to leave for years but he refuses to. I can't live like this anymore. What can i do to make him leave my home. I know he will react badly towards me when I take action. What are my options to end this nightmare as quickly as possible?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
4/18/2016
Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
First of all, I am sorry you are having to deal with this issue. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience handling issues of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today, though I wish the circumstances were different. Here is what you need to do in this order:- You need to file for a temporary restraining order against him. The court will issue the order and you can have the sheriff office in your county serve the TRO on him and have him removed from your property.- Within two weeks, there will be a hearing before a judge in your county to convert this TRO into what is called a permanent injunction. This is a court order to stay away. If he violates the TRO or the injunction, he can and will be jailed.- Make sure that you make the sheriff aware that you fear for your well-being and make sure you have them remove him from the premises.- You do not need to be present when he is removed. - Ask the local police and sheriff office to send officers by frequently to check on you (even if just driving by). There are shelters that you can stay at free of charge in this scenario as well for a period of time. I would look into a battered woman's shelter for a week or so after he is served with the TRO. This cool down period is beneficial. Normally, if a man is going to take an adverse action or response, it is within the first few days. This will give you some protection during that time. Make your friends and family aware of what is going on as well. You do not have to go at this alone. Be very vigilant as to your surroundings at all times. Tell your boss at work what is going on as well. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. If none, please rate my answer positively (three or more stars).
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney