Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am not on lease, i visit my girlfriends place time

Customer Question

Hello, i am not on lease, i visit my girlfriends place time to time for few days. Apartment complex told me that any mail coming under my name they will not give it to me and will return it. Infact the package was ordered by my girlfriend, who is on the lease. They say, unless its under her name, they will not give out the mail to me and return it. My girlfriend talked to them, they say thats what it is and they dont want to argue on that. I think its not legal to hold someone's mail. And if thats the case then why i receive mails addressed "current resident" or previous tenents name? Can they control my mail? thanks!
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: let me think
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..From a purely legal perspective, only the tenant has a legal right to use and occupy the property. But they also have a right to allow someone to have their mail delivered there if they choose to do so. The landlord has no legal right to interfere with any mail delivery to a tenant's dwelling. .You can have your girlfriend tell the landlord that you have her permission to have mail delivered there and if they interfere with it, she and you will both file a formal complaint with the US Postmaster General's office which could result in felony federal charges for tampering with mail....thanksBarrister