Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Is it legal in idaho to tape record someone without their knowledge

Customer Question

Is it legal in idaho to tape record someone without their knowledge to use against them in court?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.You may record or disclose the contents of a recored conversation if you are party to the communication, or you have received prior consent from one of the parties. So, if you plan on secretly recoding someone, you must be part of the conversation or have prior consent from someone who is. In other words, you can't intercept a conversation between two people, neither of whom know they are being recorded.
For your reference, here is the statute. https://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH67SECT18-6702.htm
Since it is legal to record in this way, you will be able to use any lawfully obtained recording in court.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.
Can I help you with anything else?