Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can someone legally use my address on their company web-site?

Customer Question
I do not know this...
I do not know this person or the business.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
4/16/2016
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Welcome and thank you for your question. Using your address with State and zip code to advertise their business when they have no affiliation with you is false advertising/fraud. Also known as Address Fraud. Further it could cause you to receive unwanted mail, aside from causing people to be confused with regard to the location of the business and harassing you. Is this your residential address or a business address they are using. Do you have a link for their website?
There are several ways to report the fraud. You can report this to the Internet Crime Center IC3 at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx You stated your question pertains to California as such you can start by filing a complaint the Department of Justice/ Attorney General at https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company The Federal Trade Commission https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1The Better Business Bureau http://www.bbb.org You can also file suit against them for any damages this has caused you.
Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. I included additional links and information for reference. Thank you for using JA! If you would be kind enough to rate my service so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it The attorney does not get paid if the customer fails to rate our service positively. Thank you for your consideration.
I wanted to check back to see if you have any additional questions for me?
Please ignore premium services request. You may not be aware that the attorneys only receive credit for their work if the customer rates them positively. Otherwise the site assumes that you were pleased with the site and not the assistance you received. Thank you for your consideration.
Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney