How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After 20 years, my accountant a CPA in Buffalo NY, dropped

Customer Question

After 20 years, my accountant a CPA in Buffalo NY, dropped me three days prior to taxes due, April 15, 2016. I live in FL and we kept him because he did our taxes when we lived in NY. We never signed a contract, each year we just provided him the documents to do the taxes. We continued to do so by mailing him our documents after we moved to FL in 2004. This year, I sent him our 2015 tax documents early March. Two weeks later, we went to Buffalo, NY, so we asked him if he could have them ready. We discovered that he did not do our taxes correctly because he did not take into consideration the huge loss incurred on a recent sale of our house which would have made a difference of at least 5 thousand dollars as a refund according to his own words. So he asked for receipts and I made sure he got them asap and they were in his possession on April 4, 2016. After two calls on the status of the taxes thereafter, he claimed he would have them done by April 10. By April 12 he still did not have them done. On April 12, I called him and he angrily said that he was sick, that I was too demanding, and that he was not going to do my taxes and would return my documents overnight. I am still waiting for my documents. I had to file an extension with the IRS. Luckily, I do not owe taxes, so no penalties will be incurred, but I will have to gather all my documents again and seek another accountant in FL to do my taxes. I want to know what recourses if any do I have against this CPA for his unprofessional, unethical, and borderline malpractice. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. You can file a complaint with the state regarding his professional misconduct:
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
It would also be possible to sue if the CPA conducted any action that would warrant malpractice or negligence.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Here's another link that provides a complaint hotline which allows you to speak to someone about the CPA's actions to determine whether to make a formal complaint:
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting.