Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My brother is arrested. I don't know why! He called

Customer Question
Hello, My brother is arrested. I...
My brother is arrested. I don't know why! He called me from police station and the story he shared with me is: "I lent a store owner money and he was delaying paying back, the store owner offered to me to take anything from the store, and i went to the store and took things, the owner called the police and they pulled me over from the car and arrested me" He also said there were two detectives came to him and investigate him in the police station and I think he told them the story. Now, I don't know what exactly happened. Moreover, I don't know what to do! I never hired attorney. What I need from you is an advice and guidance, and where I can hire attorney in IL.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
4/16/2016
Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.Do you have a legal question or are you simply looking for sources to find an experienced local criminal defense attorney?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Alex,Let's assume you are not an attorney. what you will do if you were me!
How I can meet him?
What are your advises, as an attorney, will give my brother?
What may happen to him, based on the story I told you? What is the next step?
How long he will stay at the police station? Is he going to move elsewhere?
What he should say? and What he shouldn't? If detectives came back again.
If he will be taken to a court, what questions he may asked by judge? And what he should respond?What is the minimum amount of value that considered as felony? With details please.Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, it appears that you are looking for a legal advice, which can only be provided by your local attorney, so I will opt-out of your question at no charge to you and wish you the best of luck!
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
In which town was he arrested?
Theft of property worth less than $500 is a misdemeanor, seehttp://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=36500000&SeqEnd=39200000 Have they set bail yet?
The normal move is to bail him out of jail if possible and advise him not to make any more statements to the police without having an attorney present. Please tell me where this happened and I will get you a list of local criminal defense attorneys.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We havn't bail him out yet. Maybe tomorrow. The place is Chicago area. Do you want me to be more specific?
No I do not need more information. You can get a free consultation from some of the local criminal defense attorneys listed here. Please follow up on this with a local attorney. I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer