How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RONB-ESQ Your Own Question
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RONB-ESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Richard, I have an s corp. long story short I'm a struggling

Customer Question

Hi Richard, I have an s corp. long story short I'm a struggling General contractor. I remodeled a couple homes for a company that hires contractors to do the work. they decided not to pay me so I put a mechanical lien on the jobs. so they proceeded to sell the homes and counter sued just to avoid paying. later I found out they did the same to many others in the past. He told me to take off lien or else. well he counter sued and because I did not have money to hire a lawyer he was able to put a judgment against my company. my question is if I open another corp can these snakes come after the new corporation?? Please advise [*****@******.***]
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am uncertain, but it appears you may be trying to reach another attorney. If that is the case please let me know and I can opt out so your question goes back to the group. If you initially had a corporation or an LLC and they obtained a judgment against your business and not you personally then they can only seek to obtain satisfaction for their judgment against your original company. If you now create another corporation or LLC they could not come after the assets of that company using a judgment against the original company. The troubling part for me is sometimes I have to tell people an answer they don’t want to hear and I hope that you will not shoot the messenger by giving me negative feedback as I work hard to provide you a legally accurate answer. Negative feedback is reserved for those experts that provide incorrect answers or are rude to customers. Please rate me based on the legal accuracy of my answer and my professionalism in dealing with you. I feel I have a professional obligation to provide you the most accurate answer I can even if it is not what you want to hear so that you understand your rights and can act on those rights. If the original judgment is against you personally then the answer is different. Since the judgment is against you personally then they can seek to satisfy the judgment by going after anything you own that is not exempt under Florida law. In that case if you create a new company they could seek to take any assets from that company as well. If the judgment is against you personally then one option may be to file bankruptcy to remove that judgment if you believe they will seek to collect on the judgment. That is another topic and you are welcome to direct a question to me about filing bankruptcy, but the website requires that we answer only the question posed so you would need to post a new question. Whether you post a new question or not it would help me if you could advise me if the judgment is against a business or you personally. If you wish to direct a new question to me please just start your question FORCustomerIf you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply and let me know. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I receive credit for the time I spent answering your question, additionally a bonus is not required but always greatly appreciated. If for some reason you don’t feel you can provide me positive feedback please reply and give me the opportunity to clarify my answer before giving me negative feedback.Regards, Ron

Related Legal Questions