Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I own a medical service business and I contracted with a software

Customer Question

I own a medical service business and I contracted with a software development firm to develop an app and a server for two products that I do not own but together will allow us to deliver a unique business model for evaluating a medical condition. The concept is all ours and if it works, it will be a lucrative model. Given that I do not own the two incorporated products but I will be purchasing them, do I have any intellectual property rights for the model? I am assuming not so I am pushing secondarily for exclusive distribution rights in my geographic region for as long as the manufacturer will allow. Anything else I can do to avoid getting knocked off?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
Actually you can claim that the new model is your intellectual property and patent it however it would be prudent to work out some sort of licensing or royalty arrangement with the owner of the two components.