How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118722
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It's ***** ***** - I'm a landlord evicting a tenant and per

Customer Question

It's ***** ***** - I'm a landlord evicting a tenant and per my lease agreement I have to send the 72 hour pay or quit notice via usps with return signature required. What happens if they aren't home and never go to the post office to pick it up?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm evicting them for not paying rent. Unfortunately the way I wrote my lease agreement it says that it's not considered legally served until it's mailed usps with a return signature.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you can prove you sent it to them as provided for in your lease (which you should change by the way), then once you send it if they do not pick it up or could not be delivered, you can do what is called "nail and mail" which is where you post a copy of the notice on the door and mail a copy to them. You could also go to the property and personally put it in their hands. So those are your options if they are not home or will not sign for it.