How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2182
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Yesterday I discovered I had been served court papers

Customer Question

Yesterday I discovered I had been served court papers for a judgement by an alternative serving method -law firm filed with the State of NJ. It appears the letter from the State is dated February 25th. Do I have any options as I had 35 days to respond. Since I just received the information from the mailbox yesterday, I am out of time to respond. Also, I have been negotiating with this firm for months and thought a settlement was in the works through my attorney, yet it appears they have found a loop hold.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can file a motion to set aside the judgement for improper service. You need to show that you did not dodge service when a hearing was set in this matter. Were you ever sued?