How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where are you located? JA: The Lawyer will need to help you

Customer Question

Where are you located?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I used an attorney in Irvine, CA to file a lawsuit in a medical malpractice case resulting in the death of my son. The hospital concerned requested a mediation in February 2015, a settlement was reached. I made very clear to my attorney that I was filing for myself only . we had a lengthy discussion regarding not including my ex-husband. My ex-husband later in 2015 sued my attorney for negligence in not protecting his interest. My attorney then asked me to return 50% of the proceed as a favor to show that he had protected my ex husband's interests, at the time my husband was undergoing chemotherapy for stage 4 cancer so without giving the matter too much thought I sent them a check made out to their trust account. I was assured via email that the funds could not leave the trust account without my written permission. I was just sent a Complain in Interpleader naming me as a defendant. My attorney assured me that they had discussed this with my ex husband prior to distributing the settlement funds and he agreed that I should receive everything as I had supported my son completely for 18 years. My attorney has also lead me to believe during the last 8 months that I was also being sued by my ex husband which is not true. what recourse do I have. I want to be left alone to mourn my son not go through another law suit.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like a very complex situation. You said that you received a Complaint in Interpleader naming you as a defendant. Who filed it as Plaintiff?What has become of the money that you returned to your attorney to hold in his trust account. Your situation may be best discussed via a telephone conference rather that this time consuming Q&A. If you are interested in that I can arrange it. There would be an increased charge which will be explained to you when it is offered.