How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A family friend was place under conservatorship in

Customer Question

A family friend was place under conservatorship in Washington DC can the appointed attorney take over his property in the State of Maryland without going to court in Md
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today. These issues of cross jurisdiction can be very complicated. There is an instrument that has been adopted by most states called the Uniform Probate Code that provides some guidance on these occasions in this area of the law. That said, the specific issue is not covered relative to these jurisdictions. Here is a very detailed law review article on the topic if you want to read up on the complexities (or need some sleeping materials): In the present case, the attorney that was appointed by the DC court should make an entry of appearance in the court in the county in which the property sits. This is the cleanest method of handling the affairs. While it is possible due to the intricacy of the DC/VA/MD legal relationship that all will workout without an entry of appearance here, the path that is most legally sound is to make an entry of appearance. This is particularly true if the property has to be sold or has some claim against it. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response. Best wishes going forward!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in on you to see if you have any other questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!