How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4079
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and I got into a physical altercation and he called

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I got into a physical altercation and he called my land lord to try to get me kicked out i then called her and told her i was going to get a restraining order. I didnt follow threw because of the fact that i too was physical and would be in legal trouble myself. So the landlord sent the police to my home and since i didnt press charges she is evicting me from the home. Is that even legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. Within the city limits of Seattle the landlord must have a legal reason to evict you. These reasons are called Just Cause reasons. This article explains what the just cause reasons are: To legally evict you she must go to court and prove one of the Just Cause reason. You will receive a Summons and Complaint from the court which you should answer. You can then go to court and defend against the eviction. If you are successful then she can not evict you. BUT if you live outside of Seattle the rules are different. If you are still within the specified time period for your lease (term of Lease) then she can not evict you unless she can show that you have violated one of the conditions in the lease. As with the Seattle rules she must notify you, and then Petition the Court to have you evicted. You can file an answer and fight the eviction. If you are now on a "Month to Month lease" (meaning your term of lease has expired, or if you have no written lease, AND you are ouside of Seattle, then she can terminate the lease for any reason or no reason on a 20 day notice. If you do not leave she must go to court to get an Order to have you removed, but there is no real defense to the eviction since it can be for any reason.I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald