Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My account was suspended due to someone trying to hack into

Customer Question

My account was suspended due to someone trying to hack into my bank account online and my rent payment was returned. I sent my rental company a copy of the email from my bank. I feel like this should be enough proof to waive returned check fee, late rent fee and lawyer fee. Please advise
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, it is not your landlord's fault your account was hacked and if they have returned check fees and late fees and attorney's fees in your lease, those would be still up to your landlord to collect or voluntarily agree to waive. Legally, they do not have to waive any of the lease fees, since they did not hack the account and none of this was the landlord's fault. A nice landlord would be considerate and would negotiate and agree to waive the fees as a sign of good faith, but legally they do not have to do so and it is purely at their discretion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have provided them with an email as proof from the bank. Shouldn't that be enough proof.
Thank you for your reply.
That is proof of the reason for the bounced check and late rent payment yes. However, the landlord does not legally have to waive their fees if they do not want to do so. It is purely up to the landlord to decide to waive their fees or not and that is something you need to negotiate with the landlord.