Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I lost case . They got judgement. They now want five years

Customer Question
I lost case . They...
I lost case . They got judgement. They now want five years records from me and MY WIFE who has never been part of the case
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
4/12/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They are entitled to seek the information about your wife, not to pay the judgment, but to determine your available assets from which they can seek to collect on the judgment. So, while you can object to providing the records on your wife as she is not the judgment debtor, by virtue of the fact that her income has direct bearing on your available assets to pay the judgment, the court is going to generally order that you have to provide that information. While they cannot take her assets to pay a judgment against you only, the court considers her assets to determine what you have available to pay the judgment.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney