How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I split up with my boyfriend of less then a year. My dog Reaper,

Customer Question

I split up with my boyfriend of less then a year. My dog Reaper, has been my dog since he was a puppy, long before Shane and I ever were togather. He won't let me have Reaper back, and is intending to put his (my dogs) paperwork in his name. Can he legally do that? What can I do to stop it and get back my Reaper? Desperately need answers. Thank you!
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No that pretty much sums it up.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling matters such as this one. It is a pleasure to assist you today. As a dog owner, I certainly understand your pain here. There are a few things you can do under the circumstances:- You can can the local sheriff office and ask them to intervene on the basis of stolen property - i.e., Reaper - and ask them to go to the address or meet you there to retrieve the animal;- You can take your ex to small claims court and have the court issue an order to return the animal immediately; or- You can seek an injunctive order from a higher court which orders the return of the animal and prevents the switching of any legal paperwork relative to him. First, you need to send an email or certified letter which tells him that you have spoken with an attorney (which you have now) and that you know your rights. Tell him to return the dog immediately or you will be forced to take legal action, which will include turning him in for stolen property to the sheriff. Tell him if you go to court over this, you intend to seek damages and attorney fees as well. Then, if he does not comply, you can take one of the measures mentioned above. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively on the ratings interface on your end (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my answer. Best wishes going forward!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any additional questions or comments? I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!

Related Legal Questions