How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116753
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired school teacher (age, 70) on a state pension.

Customer Question

I am a retired school teacher (age, 70) on a state pension. I do get a small social security check of $20 after medicare has been paid. My wife, who died two months ago, received full social security until her death. We had been married 49 years. I received something from SSA that said two things: that I would be entitled to $1500 a month from my wife and payment would not be made at this time. I have a May 10 appointment with a SSA official. What should I be prepared for? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can seek to collect SS benefits on your wife's income and SS, but the issue is what they call the Windfall Elimination Provision, which means if you get another government pension, your SS benefit would be reduced by the amount of that pension. So when you apply for your SS benefit under your wife's SS, you would need to be prepared for them to reduce that payment to adjust for what they call a Windfall for you receiving another government pension benefit.