Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I've been living here now 4 1/2 years. Our mail delivery woman

Customer Question

I've been living here now 4 1/2 years. Our mail delivery woman has done nothing but mess up the mail. One day we recieved 14 pieces of mail that didn't belong to us. If they look to be important, I personally go and put the mail in the peoples mailboxes. I know it is against the law to do that, but if it's a parking ticket, by the time the people actually get it will probably doubled in the amount due. I have repeatedly and I mean repeatedly reported her to to her superiors. They actually told them, that I was a liar. The other day we received 6 pieces of mail that didn't belong to us. I called the post office and I was on fire, didn't mean to be nasty to them, but enough is enough. Last week or the week before, it was a very nice day out and I had windows open. I put a piece of mail in the slot that I received from her the day before that wasn't ours. She was screaming and cursing me out so bad, that I'm actually afraid to see her now. Now mind you since we receive other peoples mail, they also receive ours. They are not as considerate as I am in returning the mail. They more than likely throw it away. My husband and I are constantly arguing, because he wants to know why we are getting late charges on our credit card bills because they were not paid. This has a caused a very strong uncomfortable environment for us both. We are always getting doubled billed for not paying our bills on time. I have Crohn's disease and if you are familiar at all with disease, the main tricking of it comes from stress. Our credit is being ruined, my health is at risk, my marriage is slowly getting destroyed and this woman is still delivering mail. I have never, ever went after any for neglect or being scared that this woman is going to get me one way or another. I have had it. I feel I should be compensated for all the wrongful effects that I have to suffer for. Someone should have to pay for this and I'm tired of it being me. Any advice for legal action would be greatly helpful. Thank You
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your next step is filing a complaint with the US Postal Inspector's Office for her stealing or not properly delivering YOUR mail and also for her threatening conduct towards you in the performance of her duties. The postmaster at your local post office should have handled this complaint and because they have not, you need to take the next step in filing a complaint with the postal inspector's office.
Also, you could sue the post office and carrier personally for them negligently delivering the mail and at this point it is indeed gross negligence as you have continuously reported the issue and they have refused to correct the matter.
However, you need to try the postal inspector before hiring an attorney to sue the post office for their gross negligence.