How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I asked someone I know to hold some family heirlooms. But they

Customer Question

I asked someone I know to hold some family heirlooms. But they will not give them back to me until I sign "official paperwork" explaining that I have received them with a current address. I will gladly sign a document stating I have gotten my property back but I am unwilling to give him my address. Do I have to give my adress to get back my property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would a document like the one attached suffice?
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there ---Nothing in the law requires you to give out your current address as part of getting your own property returned to you. This is an odd request to be sure. Typically, depending upon the size of the items and the length of time that the friend stored those items, that "friend" might ask for storage fees, and the law actually WOULD support a claim for such storage fees if they seem reasonable in the face of how much space the items took up in the "friend's" home and the length of time that the friend lost the space for to these items. So, given the fact that nothing in the law requires you to give out your address to anyone, the document that you attached is fine and can be used in this situation. You should suggest that you meet in a neutral location if the friend does not want you to come to their home or office to pick up the items and if that is not acceptable then my suggestion is that you take the matter to a local lawyer in your county and ask the lawyer to send a letter to this friend to release the items (most likely the lawyer will send another letter threatening a civil lawsuit if the items are not returned to you at a neutral location immediately). In the event that you have to sue the friend for the return of the items, the attorney can ask the court to award you the cost that it has taken from you in attorney's fees, lost wages, etc. if you actually get to the point where you will have to do this. -I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above these chat boxes so I will be paid for my time assisting you tonight (and reviewing your document). I am paid only if you press a positive rating above (the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right of the middle star are all positive ratings). Pressing a positive rating will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!-MARY -