How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7073
Experience:  29 Years In General Practice,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother-in-law and his daughter have decided to block me

Customer Question

My brother-in-law and his daughter have decided to block me from any information about my only sister's mental and physical health. The staff at the Nursing Home stated that my brother-in -law does not want any information given to me or any other family member. This is solely because he wants my sister to deteriorate to death. He is not monitoring her health only making fun at her when he visits. Their is a lot of money involved with her being remaining incompetent. What are my legal rights as her only sister and advocate.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. Unfortunately I have seen too many of these situations and my heart goes out to you. Can you tell me if your brother-in-law has the legal authority to block you from receiving information such as a power of attorney for your sister or has a court appointed them as guardians?
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do believe that he has Power of Attorney, and Guardianship Rights. He has documentation that she has developed Dementia.
He is not making sure that she is treated well in the Nursing home. He is willing to pay over $3,000.00 a month to not have to deal with her. She is 89 years old with ALL of her teeth except 1. No one in the Nursing Home brushed her teeth for a week, my brother-in-law could care less. She was so grateful when her granddaughter brushed them. She continually rubbed her tongue across her teeth and smiled.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.
A guardian can be removed by the court. If he is neglecting, abusing or financially exploiting your sister this is a criminal matter. Have you filed a police report or reported the nursing home to the State?
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.
This is a link to file a complaint against the nursing home