How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102357
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son received a Civil Demand Notice from the loss prevention

Customer Question

My son received a Civil Demand Notice from the loss prevention officer at the store in which he works. unbeknownst to me, he signed this letter acknowledging receipt. He was not given a copy of what he signed but a blank letter with the word'copy' handwritten across the front. In addition, the loss prevention person dictated a letter for him to write (which he did) and kept the letter again without providing him with a copy. The 'theft' they are accusing him of is as follows: My son would ring up his fellow sales associates using his discount code and lowering prices (unauthorized). They always paid for the merchandise but obviously not the full amount. What should we do at this point. My son was told a warrant would be issued for him if he did not answer his phone when they called or when the police called. Should we take some type of legal action or wait for the letter from the attorney named on the Civil Demand Notice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. How old is your son? Is he 18 or older? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It sounds like they made him sign a confession. And they can use this confession. He did not have to write it, but he did, and it can be taken at its face value in a court of law. At this point, he may wish to hire counsel. The store can (1) file a police complaint, (2) file a civil complaint in court, or (3) both. There is nothing that he can really do at this time since he does not know which of the above the store will do, nor can he do anything even if he knew. His best course of action is to retain counsel and wait to see if anything happens. If it does, hopefully, the attorney will be able to negotiate the matter away and nip it in the bud before this gets to court. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.