How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29817
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bought car in my name daughter was suppose to make pmts. she

Customer Question

Bought car in my name daughter was suppose to make pmts. she stopped making pmt car is in repo she won't return car to me so I can give it to repo
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Bought the car 2012. She hasn't made a pmt since December repo company has been looking for the car. Daughter has been asked many times to return the vehicle and she hasn't returned it. She was evicted from her apartment and we have no idea where she is living
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to her about your situation. What is your specific question about this set of facts? And what state do you live in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New Jersey and what are my options to get the car back
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. In order to get the car back, you'll have to be able to find your daughter. The law is on your side, since the car belongs to you if it's in your name, but you have to know where she lives or works, or where she'll be at a given date/time to get it back. If you don't have a key but have the title, the dealer should make you a copy. You could also talk to tow companies - but it if comes to that, you'd probably be better off just talking to the repossession company. It's legal to talk to her friends to try to figure out where she lives. Or you could try to get someone to arrange a meeting with her somewhere and then go to get it. To sue her, you unfortunately need an address. And police will not treat the car as stolen because you gave it to her. Another option is to hire a private investigator, but that can get expensive.