How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My uncle thinks that the line on his property is wrong.Can

Customer Question

My uncle thinks that the line on his property is wrong.Can he get legal aid help in finding out? He is in late 70's or early 80's.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there ---Possibly, but he must find the nearest legal aid offices in his county in Georgia and apply for such assistance. Generally speaking, legal aid is available for anyone who has a legal problem and no resources to pay for a lawyer, but they are usually swamped with cases such as employment discrimination and domestic abuse, so a property line dispute such as you describe may not get to the top of the list very quickly. Before your uncle can do anything at all (even WITH a lawyer), he needs to have the property line surveyed by a licensed surveyor using the documents that are currently on record with the county registry of deeds (there is generally a written property description or a plat map attached to the deeds as the property was transferred over the years. Sometimes there is both a written description AND a plat map). So, even if you are able to get a lawyer to assist for free or for a very small fee, the lawyers cannot do anything about whether or not the surveyor will charge and what rates the surveyor will charge. My suggestion is that you contact legal aid and call around to local surveyors to see if any of them would be willing to do this on a pro bono (no cost) basis or a low fee basis (mention his age and if he is a veteran (that helps) and his low income status and perhaps a surveyor might be willing to help him out in his spare time) and at the same time you want to contact Georgia legal aid -- here is a link to a website where you can search for the appropriate county and it will come up with all of the legal aid assistance services available in and around his county and then you can call or set up an appointment to speak with them. up, this will not be easy to find both a lawyer and a surveyor to help out and your uncle may have to pay for one or the other of these professionals (perhaps reduced fees might be an option). If it is a lot of property at stake here, then it may just be worth his while to get the property back into his own property -- but if it is only a matter of a foot or two, then it might not be worth paying to have a survey completed and then a lawyer to intervene in the end -- but that is only something that the two of you can decide after speaking with a few lawyers and a few surveyors in your area. -Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating in the ratings section above so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star). Pressing a positive rating above will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH-MARY -