How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27488
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Maryland lodged a detain er against a federal prisoner who

Customer Question

Maryland lodged a detain er against a federal prisoner who upon release was to serve a state sentence. Prisoner waived extradition. Maryland sent an order to release because case had been disposed of. That was 2005. In 2015 person learn that there is a warrant for failure to appear to serve state sentence. Person has been positive citizen 11 years. What do he do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Does he have a lawyer in Maryland? If his lawyer can establish that he was in fact released from extradition because the case was disposed of, he can get this warrant quashed. Failing that, he might be able to get credit for time already served.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bad. My legal question was not answered at all. This was a scam. Will cancel card and file a report
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Your question was only what he could do, and the fact is that if there is a warrant, there is only one thing he can do, and that's to come back before the court that issued it and have the judge lift it. The difficulty is that he apparently would walk right into a sentence. So he needs a lawyer to pave the way for his safe return. If the warrant issued by mistake, the lawyer may be able to get it quashed. If not, in such situations, where a person was already serving a jail sentence at the time of the so-called warrant, there actually is a possibility that he could be given credit for the time he did elsewhere. I have seen that happen with clients of my own. I believe I did address your question. If you think otherwise, let me know what I didn't address, because I certainly told you the only thing he could do. He can't wait out a warrant. It won't expire until he does until the judge lifts it, whichever comes first.