How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been having an affair years and stupidly allowed

Customer Question

I have been having an affair for seven years and stupidly allowed him to use credit cards of mine. He now owes me $30,000. Do i have any recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation. You can sue this individual for "breach of contract" and recover this money.Unfortunately, $30,000.00 is outside of the small claims jurisdictional limit, and to recover this amount you will need to sue in "unlimited civil court" so the procedure is a little more complicated (if he were to appear and defend the action it can take anywhere between 2-3 years depending on the backlog in the trial court and how aggressively you pursue the litigation). Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.