How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10260
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is***** issue is regarding my brothers adoption

Customer Question

hi, my name is***** issue is regarding my brothers adoption in Louisiana in 1987 I know that the records are sealed, but I was wondering if there is anything that I can do to help him
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: his adoption was done privately through attorney Richard gittleman, who has since been arrested and charged for his less than moral practices regarding young pregnant woman from different states
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid the deposit
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Louisiana is not as progressive as the majority of the states, and do not have a blanket provision for unsealing records after a period of time has passed from the adoption. Louisiana still requires either the consent of the birth parent, or a court order to unseal these records and an order will not be granted without extreme good cause (severe life threatening medical condition and genetic information will help). An adoptee can also register with the State Adoption Registry at: The Louisiana Adoption Voluntary RegistryP.O. Box 3318Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70821 The voluntary adoption registry may be used by: • The adopted person who is at least age 18 • The birth mother and birth father • The parents or siblings of a deceased birth parent • An adoptive parent of a minor or deceased adopted person • The birth siblings who are age 18 or older Citation: Rev. Stat. § 40:73 The original birth certificate is available: • Upon court order to the adopted person, or if deceased, the adopted person’s descendants, or the adoptive parent • To the agency that was a party to the adoption upon court order after a showing of compelling reasons Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly-Rate Positively-This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.Thank you and take care!