My question relates to copyright infringement law. There was…

Customer Question
My question relates to copyright...
My question relates to copyright infringement law. There was a picture of me in a NYC newspaper which I cut and pasted and used on my blog. It was maybe seen by 50-100 people in the six weeks it was up on my blog. All of a sudden I receive a draft of a federal lawsuit in the mail from the photographer's lawyer threatening to sue me for copyright infringement. The lawyer wants $2500 to settle the case and told me that the law allows for a minimum of $2500 to $10,000 in penalties plus legal fees. Is this true?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
4/2/2016
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
A few more minutes please.
Here are the possible penalties for infringement:Infringer pays the actual dollar amount of damages and profits.The law provides a range from $200 to $150,000 for each work infringed.Infringer pays for all attorneys fees and court costs.The Court can issue an injunction to stop the infringing acts.The Court can impound the illegal works.The infringer can go to jail.All relevant statutes are here:https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/chapter-5
attorneys may be located here: http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/ kindly rate positively if no further questions.