How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There are answers to two (2) questions that I am inquiring

Customer Question

There are answers to two (2) questions that I am inquiring about. First, I have a friend whose wife stole my winnings for a poem I wrote. Some time has passed, but I would like to know whether there is anything that I can do to recover the funds? Also, my former supervisor has sexually harassed me at work and further made my workplace a hostile work environment. Would you recommend filing an EEOC complaint initially to obtain a right to sue or filling suit through the court system.Your feedback is greatly appreciated
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Technically you're only supposed to ask about one topic per thread but since these are both pretty short I'll go ahead and address them both for you. As to issue #1, can you explain how she "stole" your winning and when this happened? As to issue #2, the law requires that you file a charge of discrimination before filing a lawsuit so if you file the lawsuit without filing the charge of discrimination then your case will be dismissed for "failing to meet conditions precedent and failing to exhaust all administrative remedies". Essentially, you really don't have a choice, you must file through the EEOC first and wait for them to send you the "right to sue" letter they send when they have finished investigating .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She retrieved the debit card from the mail and began using it. This occurred in the early 90's.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, while you could have likely pursue her the statute of limitations has now passed no matter what state you are in. In most cases the statute of limitations on "conversion" which is the civil law version of theft and what this would be, is going to be 4 years but it can be up to ten depending on what state it is. It won't be over twenty years in any state. You could still, possibly, file some type of criminal action against her although normally those causes of action would be less than ten years as well. Since it involves the mail there could be some longer ones of which I am unaware though.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.