How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10049
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently won a lawsuit. I payed camping site and memberships

Customer Question

I recently won a lawsuit. I payed for a camping site and memberships that were in my inlaws name. Put a lot of money out to fix it up. My Husband had an affair. Once I told the women s husband. My mother inlaw informed me that I was no longer aloud at the site. That she did this for her son no me. I have a text message from the mistress saying if I opened my mouth my weekends in paradise would end. Do I have a chance of getting my money back in court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
You won the lawsuit? A judgment was entered in your favor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does that mean?
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
you mention you recently won a lawsuit. So there was a money judgment (an order to pay you money) for the campsite and improvements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lawsuit wasn't from the campsite. It was an injury lawsuit that's where the money came from to pay for everything
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see; thank you for that clarification. Unfortunately, if the property is in the other party's name, the court will presume it was a gift, as opposed to a loan, unless there was evidence indicating otherwise (ie emails, promissory notes, etc). However, if the relationship ends in a divorce, the court divides marital property based on equitable division-what is fair and just as opposed to what is equal. As such, the judge can award the spouse that paid for the campsite additional property to help compensate for the value of the campsite, as presumably if it was a gift, it was presumed that the gifting party would be able to continue to enjoy it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the purchase of the membership my husband and I where taking it over. But in order to be able to do that I had to pay for theremembership as well. The lake campsite manager said she would say in court that yes I paid for everything
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Management's statement would help establish that there was a reason for titling the site in the third party's name; any evidence that will help show it was a loan is helpful as then the recipient would need to reimburse for that loan.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Information on filing a lawsuit below: Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly-Rate Positively-This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.Thank you and take care!
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
attorneys may be located here: kindly rate positively if no further questions.