Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'd like to have power of attorney to communicate fully with

Customer Question
I'd like to have...
I'd like to have power of attorney to communicate fully with court appointed attorney and psychologist for a friend who is falling toward a "'commitment" surprise simply because she asked to have a jury trial and represent herself. Involves incompetent police action..ie. potential embarrassment for the 'establishment". She is totally confused and needs an advocate to disscuss situation with her public defender/pretender and court appt. psychologist.apparently there is a petitioner??!!!!I can find out such pertinent details if I can legally communicate with court staff in her stead . Must I become her attorney in fact or is there a simpler way to arrive at this communication..my email=*****@******.***...name Is Mike
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/30/2016
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Attorney
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
Mike, I am sorry for this dilemma. And even sorrier to be the one to have to bear this bad news...there is no "power of attorney" that will help with what you are describing. A power of attorney can help, in some cases, where the "grantor" (the person granting the power) has an "agent" act on their behalf.
They are commonly used for commercial transactions (banking, contracts, etc)
But what you are describing? The court will NOT accept a POA...they are not required to, and will not in practice, accept one.
You would need to hire an attorney to perform this function
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can use a POA for this, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
P. Simmons, Attorney