How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Received Civil Summons on 03/28/2016 indicating a complaint

Customer Question

Received Civil Summons on 03/28/2016 indicating a complaint was filed against me from the Moore Law Group, PC on behalf of Department Stores National Bank. If I am able to acquire a portion of what is owed, is it in my favor to attempt to contact the Law firm and offer them a settlement or, is that even an option?
Deborah L Bisnett
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of practice experience in litigation. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The answer to your question is yes. You should try to settle this before it proceeds further. Moreover, if you are unsuccessful, your attempts to settle are not admissible against you in court.

As to the present time, you must file an answer to the complaint that was filed within 30 days of service of process or the party will receive a default judgment against you. With the default judgment, they will be able to garnish wages and attach liens to your property. So, to keep this going, you have to file an answer.

There are sample answers to complaints all over the internet. You can also purchase state specific ones on for reasonable fees.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you had any additional questions or comments. I want to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!