How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29969
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about community service hours. No, A judge

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I am Minh and I have a question about community service hours.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: A judge ordered 40 hours of community service as a condition of my probation. I failed to complete hours and return with proof of enrollment and/or proof of completion of community service/community labor by 3/22/2016. This letter states failure to comply is a violation of probation. How do I proceed?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Violation(s) 148.9 (A) PC
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If you had a public defender in your original case, contact that person and let them know about your situation. They may be able to represent you at the probation violation hearing. Another way to approach things is to talk to your probation officer. They may be willing to recommend to the judge that you be given more time to complete the community service hours. If you finished but forgot to turn in the evidence, or had a good reason for not being able to do the hours (like a medical or family emergency), that might help. It's also possible that they'd give you more time, but make you do 50 hours instead. The judge tends to follow the probation officer's recommendation, so if you don't have a lawyer and don't want to hire someone in your area, talking to the P.O. can help.

You'll get a hearing where you can either admit or deny the violation. If you deny it, then they'll set about proving it. The district attorney can also tell you what punishment they're recommending if you admit the violation, and that will help you decide whether you want to go through a hearing or just admit that you missed the hours and accept the consequences. A lot of times, you will get a better deal if you admit the violation, just like accepting a plea bargain. If the district attorney says they want you to go to jail, tell the judge you want a lawyer appointed or you'd like time to hire one.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Legal Questions