How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is my name and my question is in regards to indictments, All

Customer Question

is my name and my question is in regards ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All I know is an indictment was filed against me on 3/22/16 for medicaid Fraud. I have no idea what the next steps are or how much bond is? or what order it goes in
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state is this in, or is it in US District court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is in Texas and it is in District Court.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Is it in the federal or state court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Once you are indicted, you would receive notice to appear in court in most cases to surrender yourself. Generally you need an attorney for this appearance and if you cannot afford one, you can get the public defender's office to represent you. Bond is up to the judge's sole discretion and the judge can release you on your own recognizance if they believe you will show up in court when required and that you are not going to continue violating any laws. Most times, the bond will be a recognizance bond or a bond of $10,000 or so (if this is a small case) and usually that means about $1000 payment to the bondsman. However, the amount of the bond, again, is solely up to the judge and the amount they decide on depends on way too many factors that I do not have information about your case on to look at.
Usually, if you get a local attorney now, they can arrange with the court and prosecutor to get the personal recognizance bond without any cost of putting up an actual bond. You cannot fight this case on your own, so you will need an attorney regardless.
You will appear in court on a first appearance to plead not guilty. Then the case will proceed with your attorney perhaps seeking some deal from the prosecutor for a fine and perhaps a "deferred sentence" which would allow you to have the case dismissed if you reimburse any money owed. But if not then your attorney will either try to negotiate some other deal or you would go to trial and prove you did not do what they accused you of doing.