Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a Florida school teacher and false allegations were

Customer Question
made by a former student...
I am a Florida school teacher and false allegations were made by a former student about me. The Florida DOE states that if an allegation is found to be legally sufficient supported by ultimate fact that my school certificate can be on the line . What does legally sufficient supported by ultimate fact mean in regards ***** ***** investigation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally sufficient means that it meets the burden of proof for administrative violations, which is "a preponderance of the evidence." The preponderance of the evidence is just slightly more evidence that would indicate the incident occurred than there is that it did not occur (unlike the criminal standard of proof which is beyond a reasonable doubt meaning that the evidence is such that it is reasonable the offense was committed by the person).
If you look at this like a scale, the administrative preponderance of the evidence is just enough evidence on the scale to tip it in favor of the incident happening.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
would an allegation by one person be enough to be leagally sufficient?
Thank you for your reply.
Not generally. One word against another person's word is generally not sufficient to prove an incident took place. They would need some other external evidence to support the accuser's statement in order to have sufficient evidence to substantiate the allegation.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney