How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband makes over $8000 a month but never has to pay

Customer Question

My ex husband makes over $8000 a month but never has to pay what he should which is 20%. He works as a ship broker, so he's self employed. Every time we go to court, he quits working for a couple of months to claim that his income has reduced or sometimes say's he's out of work. He's also used the excuse that he hurt his back for two years in a row to stop working or show reduced pay to lower child support. How can I prevent him from being able to pull these things in court and what can be done about it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to obtain proof of his income somehow. In order to convince the court to impute income to him and force him to pay, you need to present evidence to the court of this pattern of conduct you describe and then the court can "impute" or attribute the income to him and make him pay what he is supposed to pay you for his child.