How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27478
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. i've been told by my probation

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****. i've been told by my probation officer to write a letter to my judge to get early release from my probation. just doing some research as to which route would make my chances of getting off greater
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: im on deffered adjudication for 10 years and i have served 5 years and 4 months for felony drug offences
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know if having an attorney will give me a greater chance or just writing a letter to my judge will just as effective. My probation officer told me that he would file the necessary paper work for early termination.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


A judge will generally entertain a request for early termination of probation when you have finished at least half of your sentence, if you have not been in any trouble while on probation, if you owe no fines or fees and if you have completed all of your special conditions. So these are the facts above that you want to include in your letter.

What really helps the most, however, is if your probation officer agrees that you're ready to have probation favorably terminated early. If your probation officer is suggesting that you write the letter because he or she believes you're ready to leave the nest, your PO is going to back you up before the judge, and you likely won't need a lawyer. Make it clear in the letter that your PO thinks you are ready now for the termination of your probation and in fact suggested that you write the letter to the court.

A lawyer can always make a better oral argument than a lay person. So I'd give the edge to having your lawyer help you. But with your PO in your corner it probably won't make a huge difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, i have satisfied all the conditions of my probation and have been employed since since i started my probation. My probation officer said that he doesn't ever recommend early termination but he will file the necessary paper work including my letter to the court. He told me that i have a 50/50 shot at early release. He did tell me to give him letter asap because he will be retiring in may. With that being said, should i include the fact that i have a new family ( 2 year old girl and baby on the way) in my letter? Should i also include employment, school, and completing all my conditions in the letter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or should i hire an attorney to give me a better chance? The fact that my probation officer is willing to file the paper work tells me he supports me but will not give a formal recommendation.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You want to include good facts about your accomplishments to show you're now a responsible member of society with a lot of incentive to stay out of trouble.

Good luck! So long as probation doesn't object on the record, you have got at least a 50=50 chance.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

If you can afford to hire a lawyer, do so since your probation is going to stand silent and leave it to the court.