How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a neighbor in a sr. apts complex, who time ( 2 years

Customer Question

I have a neighbor in a sr. apts complex, who for some time ( 2 years +) has disagreed with me, perhaps gossiping.. to make this simple, she has been telling neighbors (they came to me to tell me) that she accused me of 'stealing ' some silly item from her door.. I am an upstanding person, Senior, retired librarian, and currently working as 'captain' of our our county (Sullivan NY) for Bernie sanders... I deal with all types of people and this is not a personal vendetta, at least on my part. I jsut wonder if there is a NY State law, I can quote to her to this defamation, which I consider it is?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

Basically, what you have here is a case for slander (which is a subcategory of Defamation of Character and it is the legal act of talking and making comments about another person or persons which are not true and are derogatory). Slander is spoken Defamation of Character and Libel is written Defamation of Character. If you have some witnesses to some or all of these comments and accusations that she has made and these witnesses are at least willing to sign a sworn statement with some of these things in the statement, then you can pursue a case against her for Defamation of Character (Slander).


There are no written statutes that you can point to in order to get her to back off and stop doing this to you -- but if you give me about 20-30 minutes I can do some research for you and see if I can come up with some written articles or cases that you can print off and refer to in your arguments with this neighbor.




Please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will not close your question (we can converse for several weeks if need be) and it will not cost you any additional money (it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you today)! THANK YOU VERY MUCH