How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a nuisance neighbor, who and political reasons, last

Customer Question

I have a nuisance neighbor, who for personal and political reasons, for the last two years, and more intenses recently has been gossping about me, and my character.. I now know from a neighbor she's saying I stole something hanging on her door (so pitiful ). but, she persists,, a neighbor stood up for me, she told me and had an open argument with the woman. I do not know if she has emotional or 'psychological' issues, probably so...but I MUST at t his point act, and find a way to stop her slander..... I want to make sure she knows I will not sit back and take this.
what laws in NY State may I be able to quote to her, in a letter to have her desist?
robert ******
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.

I'm so sorry you're in this situation. Unfortunately, there are people out there who have nothing better to do than speak badly about others. What you describe is defamation. In order to establish defamation you must show that there was (1) a false and defamatory statement, (2) that was published (written or oral), (3) and the statement was made negligently or with reckless disregard for the truth, and (4) the individual suffered damages (financial, social, emotional, etc.). You can send the letter yourself of course, or you can consider hiring an attorney who offers "unbundled services" - meaning one-off services, like the preparation of a cease and desist letter. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the time we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit arating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.