Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I helped my sister by a car in my name. She is not paying

Customer Question
the insurance on the vehicle...
I helped my sister by a car in my name. She is not paying the insurance on the vehicle and it is affecting my ability to get cover for my car. What can I do? We live in different states. I am not sure if she is even living at the address that she is saying. If I report the car as stolen will that be a way to get the car out of her possession since she obviously does not want to take responsibility for it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2016
Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You can pay the insurance for her if you want. The only other things you can do are get possession of the car back yourself or call the police and report the car stolen. However, the police may not take the car if she can prove she's been the one making the payments, etc.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She did not pay off the loan completely. She stopped making payments and pretty much ruined my credit in the process. Now she is not paying the insurance on it. I don't know how she keeps getting insurance in my name because I have not authorized that passed the initial insurance when the car was purchased. She has moved to several different insurance companies since then without me knowing.

Then yes. You can report the car stolen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright. Thank you!

No problem. Please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer