Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

MY WIFE HAD FILED, CURENTLY I ONLY PAY 1/2 OF CHILD CARE

Customer Question
MY WIFE HAD FILED FOR...
MY WIFE HAD FILED FOR CUSTODY, CURENTLY I ONLY PAY 1/2 OF CHILD CARE WICH I HAVE PROFF OFF, THE FACILITY NOTIFIED ME THAT THERE IS A OUTSTANDING BALANCE. TO AVOID HAVING MY WIFE CLAIM I HAVE NOT PAID I ATTEMTED TO PAY ALL THE BALNCE IN CASH TODAY AND THE DIRECTOR REFUSED MY PAYMENT BECAUSE MY WIFE TOLD THEM NOT TO TAKE IT .... CAN I SUE THE FACILITY.. THIS PUT ME IN JEOPARDY WITH THE COURT IF SHE CLAIMS I HAVE NOT PAID
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/24/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have proof that she told the director not to take your payment you need to get that in writing from the director, since this would be grounds for you to dispute her claims and also seek attorney's fees and costs for her bad faith (this is called estoppel in the law, which says if she caused this to happen she cannot seek to recover from you for her own conduct). If this is her balance and you have proof you paid, then your recourse is against her to beat her to filing against you and you would file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt against her for not paying her share and in bad faith ordering the facility to not accept your payment. You have her on this at this point and you would subpoena the facility in to testify that she told them not to take payment.
The facility really is in the middle of this and they are not liable, it is your ex who is liable. If she said not to paying her share, it is your right to file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt and drag her into court for her conduct causing this. She is the one who is liable here.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney